- About Us
- Collective Agreement
- Collective Agreement
- Letters of agreement
- Teaching Qualification Requirements (TQRs) – article 13
- Priority Points – article 14
- Course Posting and Application – article 15
- Course Application Form
- Leave – article 27, 28
- McGill resources
- Union resources
- Contact Us
THE COURSE LECTURERS AND INSTRUCTORS CALL FOR
A NEGOTIATION IN GOOD FAITH WITH
FAIRNESS, TRANSPARENCY AND COLLABORATION.
Congratulations to Marwan Kanaan, recipient of the Principal’s Prize for Excellence in Teaching 2017-18.
Preparation for negotiation session, Oct. 2018
MCLIU’s annual general assembly was held on February 8, 2019. Important decisions were taken, and motions were passed. The following is a brief overview of the proceeding of the assembly.
First, MCLIU’s executive committee thanks our membership for all their support throughout the negotiation process. We extend special thanks to our Bargaining Committee!
The following Mobilization mandate was adopted unanimously on February 8, 2019:
Whereas, MCLIU has been in negotiations with the Employer since June 2018 and since only one article (15.03) has been discussed pertaining to courses reserved for McGill community members who are not on the priority points list such as Graduate Students;
Whereas, the Employer has not agreed to any substantial demand of the Union so far; and
Whereas, a new category of external hire “Course Practitioner” is being insisted on by the Employer;
BIRT the Union take all necessary measures required to mobilize its membership to take action for an equitable second collective agreement that provides job security and rights that are otherwise accorded to all course lecturers of Quebec Universities.
As Course Lecturers and Instructors of McGill, we are:
- Loyal and form part of the essential academic teaching staff of a great institution of higher education;
- Fulfilling our role not only as educators of future generations, but as educators with wholehearted dedication and passion, skillful and effective communication and creative vision;
- Contributing to McGill’s mission: “advancement of learning and the creation and dissemination of knowledge, by offering the best possible education, by carrying out research and scholarly activities judged to be excellent by the highest international standards, and by providing service to society”;
- Proud of our achievements to give the best to our students even though we do it with limited resources;
- Committed to offer our services year after year to McGill because of our dedication for this University.
RESPECT AND FAIRNESS FOR ALL
The following information is listed to the best of our knowledge. Individual hiring units might change the way they post without advising the union or Human Resources.
Course Posting and Application Procedure
(Article 15.04, 15.07, 16.01)
|Day:||1-15||5 working days||15 working days||Within 10 working days of|
|Course Posting||Application period continues||Department to send contracts||Employees to accept/reject contracts|
|APPLICATION PERIOD||RECEIVING CONTRACTS||REPLY TO CONTRACTS||Summer
|Feb 1-Feb 15
(latest posting date)
|Feb 16-Feb 22||Feb 23-Mar 15||Mar 16-Mar 29|
Last day to post for Summer semester courses is February 1, 2019.
Please note that courses could be posted one semester in advance, e.g. The Fall postings may included courses in Winter. Apply to all the courses you are interested immediately when they are posted.
Updated Priority Points list and your Teaching Qualification Requirement (TQRs) – (Article 14.04 and 14.09)
What you need to do:
Go to your department’s website, verify that the priority points list has been updated in due time and your name appears with accurate information about your points and courses you are eligible to teach.
- priority points that you accumulated during the Winter 2019 term
- cumulative priority points
- list of courses that you taught in Winter 2019
- list of courses that you are qualified to teach (have TQRs – teaching qualification requirement – for)
WE ARE McGILL
- How To Access Minerva
- Where To Check Your TQRs‑EQEs
- How to maintain your priority points
- Updated priority points list
- Media news articles
For news on our events, updates on the global movement and community of university lecturers and higher education issues at McGill and elsewhere, like our Facebook page.