Know Your Rights

    Your Current Rights

    We are working hard to achieve a collective agreement that will protect our rights comprehensively, including seniority, course allotment, leaves, intellectual property, and wages. This is a lengthy and complex process, and the bargaining committee is working steadily and progressively to achieve the protection we deserve as soon as possible.

    Until we have a collective agreement, our rights are covered by existing legislation such as the Quebec Labour Code, the Charter of Human Rights, and the Health and Safety Board. From the moment certification is granted by the Ministry of Labour, employers do not have the right to alter working conditions for their employees without the written consent of the union (article 59 of the Quebec Labour Code). For course lecturers and instructors working at McGill, August 30, 2011, is the effective date for the application of article 59, as our accreditation was granted on that date.

    Issues that can be considered for legal action may include a loss of contract for no grounds, a marked increase in class size, an increase in duties you are expected to perform in addition to teaching, a change in your job title, all depending on the context in which these changes occur. Bear in mind that a situation may be unfair to you, but there must also be legal grounds for the union to pursue it.

    There are several challenges to the legal filing of a case, and the best way to ensure you can file is to protect your interests by systematically documenting your case and the objective events that occurred. Keep track of all your communications regarding your job situation, past and present. Because you have six months available within which to act and file an official complaint, it is important that you note the date when you discovered or perceived the violation in your case.

    If you think that your rights are being violated, or if you’d like more information regarding your case, contact your grievance officer.

    Receiving CSST

    Below are the necessary steps to receive CSST (worker’s compensation, covered by provincial taxes).

    If an accident happens at work, report it in writing within 24 hours of the event to your supervisor. Contact Environmental Health and Safety at McGill for the accident report needed.

    Your doctor should complete a CSST medical certificate; two copies are necessary, one for you and one for the employer. Submit the accident report and the medical certificate to Benefits to McGill (688 Sherbrooke, room 1420, phone number: 514 398-4747). The office will provide you with the CSST Worker’s Claim and a Reimbursement of Expenses form. For more info, please consult the CSST site.

    Employment Insurance

    The federal Employment Insurance program has been modified recently. You can consult the federal government site for information on how to file for EI and what to expect.

    For a more clearly detailed explanation of the new changes, consult this presentation provided in French by the CSN.